This is PART 2 of a continuation of last week's list, because to be honest, once I started looking at my own books for favourite first lines -- I just could not stop! I plan to make use of Bloggers new "pages" and will eventually add all of these to my own Top 100 first novel line list. So, here are my next 13, (#14 - 26) continuing from last week.
Houlihan sat in the dark room and listened to the two creatures who had
brought him here - a three-eyed thing by the name of Lazaru and its
sidekick, Baby Pink-eye playing Knock the Devil Down in the corner.
Clive Barker, Abarat; Days of Magic, Nights of War, 
15. I write this sitting in the kitchen sink.
Dodie Smith, I capture the Castle, 
16. I didn't realise he was a werewolf at first.
Patricia Briggs, Moon Called, 
17. Time is not a line but a dimension, like the dimensions of space.
Margaret Atwood, Cat's Eye, 
18.The first thing you ought to know about Joseph Creed is that he's a sleaze of the First Order - maybe even of the Grand Order, considering his trade.
James Herbert, Creed, 
19. "I see...," said the vampire thoughtfully, and slowly he walked across the room towards the window.
Anne Rice, Interview with the Vampire; The Vampire Chronicles, 
20. Jack Torrance thought: Officious little prick!
Stephen King, The Shining,  This one should be #1.
21. Had Eidolon been anywhere but the hospital, he would have killed the guy pleading for his life before him.
Larissa Ione, Pleasure Unbound; A Demonica Novel, 
22. Vietnam, me love you long time.
Alex Garland, The Beach, 
23. Ilium, New York, is divided into three parts.
Kurt Vonnegut, Player Piano, 
24. With a beer and a smile, Ned Pearsall raised a toast to his deceased neighbor, Henry Friddle, whose death greatly pleased him.
Dean Koontz, Velocity, 
25. For more than a thousand years, the Mirror of Souls waited for the return of magic that would awaken tit and allow it to finish its work.
Holly Lisle, Diplomacy of Wolves; The Secret Texts book 1, 
Useless bit of info: This picture is actually from an LP - a short-lived Hamburg based project for a band called Brave New World, Impressions on Reading Aldous Huxley Anyone interested can find out a tiny bit more about them, by checking out this review (on another site) written in 2002. I chose this album cover over the book because I felt it went very well with the first line of the book - below.
26. A squat grey building of only thirty-four stories.
Aldous Huxley, Brave New World, 
Do you have any favourites of your own? What's your Thursday 13?
:)Alternative-Read.com: The "Inside Story" by Sassy Brit and her Gang!
~http://www.twibes.com/group/READERSandREVIEWERS~Chat and Promo Group~WHAT'S ON YOUR DESK WEDNESDAY? Book Blog Meme!~We are actively seeking staff!~ FaceBook~ LibraryThing~ AmazonUK~ GoodReads~ Technorati Categories:Book Review, FREE Books, Competition, Blog,Media, Press Release, Author,Podcast, Interview,Book News, Reviews,Reviewers, WitchGiggles, Aris, Lucille Perkins Robinson, Devlin O'Neill, Clayton Bye,Angelika Devlyn, Michael,Ella Blackhart, Bo Perkins,Giveaway,Yahoo Group, Guest Blog, Publisher, Newsletter, Stumbleupon, MySpace, Promo, alternative-read.com