My 13 Best First Lines of Novels from books I have read:
1. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
George Orwell, 1984, 
2. It was a wrong number that started it, the telephone ringing three times in the dead of night, and the voice on the other end asking for someone he was not.
Paul Auster, City of Glass, 
3. 124 was spiteful.
Toni Morrison, Beloved, 
4. Mother died today.
Albert Camus, The Stranger, 
5. I am a sick man . . . I am a spiteful man.
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Notes from Underground, 
6. All this happened, more or less.
Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five, 
7. They shoot the white girl first.
Toni Morrison, Paradise, 
8. It was the day my grandmother exploded.
Iain M. Banks, The Crow Road, 
10. I was born twice: first, as a baby girl, on a remarkably smogless Detroit day in January of 1960; and then again, as a teenage boy, in an emergency room near Petoskey, Michigan, in August of 1974.
Jeffrey Eugenides, Middlesex, 
11. It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted the Rosenbergs, and I didn't know what I was doing in New York.
Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar, 
12. It was a pleasure to burn.
Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451, 
13. Vaughan died yesterday in his last car-crash.
J. G. Ballard, Crash, 
Do you have any favourites of your own? What's your Thursday 13?
My choices from the books I have read, and out of this list found at the Info Please WebsiteAlternative-Read.com: The "Inside Story" by Sassy Brit and her Gang!
~http://www.twibes.com/group/READERSandREVIEWERS~Chat and Promo Group~WHAT'S ON YOUR DESK WEDNESDAY? Book Blog Meme!~We are actively seeking staff!~ FaceBook~ LibraryThing~ AmazonUK~ GoodReads~ Technorati Categories:Book Review, FREE Books, Competition, Blog,Media, Press Release, Author,Podcast, Interview,Book News, Reviews,Reviewers, WitchGiggles, Aris, Lucille Perkins Robinson, Devlin O'Neill, Clayton Bye,Angelika Devlyn, Michael,Ella Blackhart, Bo Perkins,Giveaway,Yahoo Group, Guest Blog, Publisher, Newsletter, Stumbleupon, MySpace, Promo, alternative-read.com