BOOK REVIEW: Star of the Morning Nine Kingdoms, Lynn Kurland | Berkley | Reviewed by Blodeuedd - Alternative-Read.com

BOOK REVIEW: Star of the Morning Nine Kingdoms, Lynn Kurland | Berkley | Reviewed by Blodeuedd

Star of the Morning
Nine Kingdoms, Book 1
Author: Lynn Kurland
Publisher: Berkley
Genre: Romantic Fantasy
Format: print
Length: 338 pages
Reviewer: Blodeuedd
Alternative-Read.com 

Neroche's kingdom is threatened by the darkness of an evil Black Mage- and all hope lies in the legend of two magical swords. Miach, the archmage of Neroche, carries one. And he's found a Wielder for the other in Morgan, a young woman and feared mercenary herself. Now, Miach must choose between endangering the woman who has captured his heart, and defending the kingdom he's sworn to protect. (Goodreads)

Star of the Morning is the first book in a romantic fantasy trilogy. It centers on Miach and Morgan. Miach is the archmage of Neroche and brother to the king. He spends most of the time doing magic and seeing to that the border is protected, as dark powers from the north wants in. Morgan on the other hand is a shieldmaiden who was raised by mercenaries and then left at an orphanage. She can use a sword better than any man and she hates magic. It actually takes some time before these two meet. His brother, the king is the person who meets her first when he sets out to find a person to use a magical sword to save the country. And that is the plot. The king has lost his magic and bad things are coming.

Morgan is sure not a damsel in distress. She is far from it and can take care of herself. She also speaks her mind and one cannot help to like her. I think most of it comes from how she treats Adhemar. She thinks he is only some bumbling oaf as he has not told her or her friends the truth and I can’t help myself giggling as he makes an ass of himself and she thinks he is an idiot. Miach on the other hand gets a bit better treated when he comes along as he stays better in his role as a peasant who only knows magic well enough to hide cabbages from the pigs. His excuses are just simply the best. I also like his quiet personality as he is not a flashy person. He being the shyer quiet one and she the tough showy woman, I can just say that they make quite the pair.

I did say that this is a romance fantasy but to be fair there is no romance in it. What does it make it then? Light fantasy? Sure Miach falls for her and she surely slowly for him but then never do anything about it. But then this is a series and there will be more to come. Because I think that was the most evil thing about the book. Suddenly it ends and I was thinking I would get a conclusion of events; instead I am left wanting more. Will they become a couple? Will the kingdom be saved? Will Adhemar stop being an ass? You will not get answers and instead you will want book two.
It was a nice book. I kept reading and reading to know if Miach would tell her the truth and if she would kick his ass for lying. When I put down the book I did want the next one.


###

Join our chat over at theYahoo Chat and Promo group! (and claim your free e-books!)
###
Author Promos:
BOOK REVIEW: Star of the Morning Nine Kingdoms, Lynn Kurland | Berkley | Reviewed by Blodeuedd BOOK REVIEW: Star of the Morning  Nine Kingdoms, Lynn Kurland | Berkley | Reviewed by Blodeuedd Reviewed by Sassy Brit @ Alternative-Read.com on 9:39 am Rating: 5

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me over again Sassy :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, this sounds interesting - sometimes I don't mind a little light fantasy. Definitely going to keep an eye out for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! A cliffie? I hate cliffies and yet, this does sound like a good summer read for fantasy. Sometimes light fantasy is a good thing. :) 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm...the reply button is not working for me.

    Sally
    Light fantasy can be very fun so you should have a look :)



    melissa
    I know! I hate those too. I do want to know what happens :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Light fantasy...with an unfulfilled romance...well, I might be tempted. Lovely review, Blodeuedd, great choice of a reviewer, Sassy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Will Adhemar stop being an ass?"


    LOL! Oh, Linda. You crack me up. So, a cliffie and light on the romance.... what is that all about? Not sure if I'd enjoy it as much. Thanks for the guest review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh reply button works for me now :D

    Well I am to make people laugh, without meaning too ;)
    But still the romance was always lingering there in the corner, wanting to come out and play

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol, yes you could just enjoy I considering how non existing the romance was in this story ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. jennygirl738:25 pm

    I was curious about this book but I was afraid it may be a dud.  I did hear good things about onr of her books in the past.  I will give her a second thought.  But I agree with you...where is the romance?  :)  great review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are very welcome! It's great to have you here, Blodeuedd

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sally! Thanks for dropping by. It certainly does sound good @bibrary:twitter @openid-89699:disqus

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know what you mean, Melissa, some cliffhangers hold back too much information, and can leave you a bit cheated. @twitter-96828379:disqus This one sounds fun though lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry the reply button is not working for you. I'll have a word with it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Bridget! Yes, I do make good reviewer choices lol  I'm so pleased, @blodeuedd:disqus was keen to review more...  :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. She does seem a popular author. so there is definitely a call for light romance, high fantasy. I wonder which sells it more... Blodeuedd

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for popping by to leave a supportive comment,  Missie Bee  :)  I always smile when reading Blodeuedd 's reviews - and for the RIGHT reasons. 

    ReplyDelete
  17. And we love you for it, @blodeuedd:disqus  LOL So, does that mean book two will have them finally giving in and going for "it" ?  Now there's a thought! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. THanks for your comment, @jennygirl73:disqus Glad @blodeuedd:disqus has encouraged you to give it another look! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The romance was hiding under a rock ;) But I am sure it will be more present later and I did like that they did not rush things

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a sassy comment. It's truly appreciated. I aim to get back to you as soon as possible -- Sassy :)

Alternative-Read.com. Powered by Blogger.