WOYDW: Ali Atwood and The Writing Process - Alternative-Read.com

WOYDW: Ali Atwood and The Writing Process

What's On Ali's Desk? Click to view!
The Writing Process
By Ali Atwood

I wonder how many readers are curious about the writing process. From the time I began writing seriously, when I was about twelve, I wanted to know what inspired authors and what routines they followed. I’m still fascinated by method. Do the majority of writers work best in the morning or late at night? Do they plot with a pen in their hand or visualize and type? How do they handle writer’s block? Perhaps some bash away, scribbling rubbish until their muse takes pity on them. Others might pace the floor cursing at the blank computer screen?

For personal and household reasons, I operate best in the early morning. And I spend a great deal of time staring out the window while I work through scenes in my mind. Regardless of routine, every writer I know admits to having trouble writing. It takes a tremendous amount of time and focus to create an entertaining tale with engaging characters and realistic dialogue.

Is the slog worth it? Absolutely. For me it’s a miraculous feeling to read a book I’ve finished and know it came about because I followed my bliss.

If an aspiring author were to ask for my advice, though I’m still somewhat of a newbie myself, I would tell them to write every day, even if you only have ten minutes to spare. When you start a new project, set a realistic deadline and stick to it. Keep moving forward. Don’t waste time revising your first draft. Too much fiddling on the first run may prevent those quirky muses from popping in to lend a hand. And definitely do not let rejection discourage you. Sylvia Plath said, The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. So keep writing, keep improving and keep submitting your manuscripts.

 
About Ali Atwood:
Ali Atwood was born and raised in the British Isles and now lives in Florida. With Scottish and Danish—Viking—ancestry, Ali has always been fascinated by Celtic lore and mystical phenomenon. The latter nurtured by her Scottish grandmother who, some say, had the sight.

A voracious reader from an early age, Ali devoured hundreds of books while still in school. Tales of youthful derring-do gradually replaced by romance, and later on, by spicy romance with no-holds-barred love scenes. Left with countless Alpha heroes crowding her head, Ali had no choice but to set them free.

When she’s not writing, Ali enjoys the outdoors—horseback riding and golf. The books she creates are the type she likes to read, happily-ever-afters with a solid plot, strong characters and oodles of high-voltage sex.


http://aliatwood.com 

=======
SEPT 2010
Author in the Spotlight Laura Tolomei 
=======
Join our Yahoo Chat & Promo group!
(and claim your free e-books!)
=======
Direct links to giveaways* below!
=======
*All giveaways are open to all unless otherwise stated. 
**If you are entering a competition but going on holiday please let us know!
=======
Win with Alternative-Read.com!
2 copies with Tina Donahue - closes 20th Sept 2010
2 pb copies of The Burnished Bridge - closes 13th Sept 2010
1 pb copy of The Way Back Home - closes 7th Sept 2010






WOYDW: Ali Atwood and The Writing Process WOYDW: Ali Atwood and The Writing Process Reviewed by Sassy Brit @ Alternative-Read.com on 2:09 pm Rating: 5

1 comment:

  1. Good advice, I really should take it to heart :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a sassy comment. It's truly appreciated. I aim to get back to you as soon as possible -- Sassy :)

Alternative-Read.com. Powered by Blogger.