Musing Monday: Fluffy Books v's Meaty & Intellectual? - Alternative-Read.com

Musing Monday: Fluffy Books v's Meaty & Intellectual?

This week’s musing asks…
Do you prefer deep, intellectual, “meaty” books… or light, “fluffy” books? Why? Give us an example of your preferred type of book. ;)


My answer to this really depends on my mood when I pick up a book. I don't like books too 'fluffy' since they would probably be so light on content I wouldn't be able to stand it enough to keep my interest throughout the whole book. Chick lit is actually that sort of genre, which I feel is too sappy and weak at times. But that's not to say that there aren't any chick lit authors who haven't surprised me.  Tara Hyland  is one, and so is Kathy Lette

On the other end of the scale, there are intellectual, meaty books, which I do enjoy a lot. If given only two choices, it would be this type I picked up... but for me, these would mostly be non-fiction. An example is anything by Richard Dawkins. The God Delusion and The Greatest Show on Earth (The Evidence for Evolution) fit this meaty category very well. 

Musing Monday is hosted by MizB, check out the other entries here! What's your answer?

=======
January 2011
Author in the Spotlight
Karen Mercury
Visit Karen's Spotlight Author Page
=======
Join our Thursday Chat over at the
Yahoo Chat and Promo group!
(and claim your free e-books!)
=======
Win with Alternative-Read.com!

-- Win --
Book of your choice from Karen Mercury's back list
Hardcover of Madame Tussaud and a pair of Marie Antoinette cupcake earrings from Michelle Moran! *All giveaways are open to all unless otherwise stated.

=======


Vimeo
Musing Monday: Fluffy Books v's Meaty & Intellectual? Musing Monday: Fluffy Books v's Meaty & Intellectual? Reviewed by Sassy Brit @ Alternative-Read.com on 10:27 am Rating: 5

6 comments:

  1. It is interesting to see that really what you are reading really reflects what mood you are in and what you want to get from reading the book.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome, thank you for coming back, Leanne :) I agree, I certainly do have to be in the right frame of mind to ready anything heavy, or light and fluffy...all depends on the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I totally agree depending upon what mood Im in what time of day and where I am at ,, depends on what type of book I read.. Nothing to much indepth most of the time,, fluffy if Im feeling like a read to enjoy,, meaty and intellectual not often .. ;O lol..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree entirely. There are times where I want nothing more than to just escape into a good book, to be surrounded by fantastic places and events, and to ride along on an adventure. I'm still looking for some substance - strong characters, some moral/political tension, and a good plot - but they're the kind of books serious scholars would call fluff. There are also times, however, where I want to read something 'real' and serious. Richard Dawkins is definitely one of those authors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would say...oh fluffy books make me happy :D Sure I want something more meaty now and again too

    Hm only worked when I replied today..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too funny :) but yes, my book choices change with my mood... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a sassy comment. It's truly appreciated. I aim to get back to you as soon as possible -- Sassy :)

Alternative-Read.com. Powered by Blogger.